Accessible Page Links




Page Tools

Secondary Navigation

Main page Content

Our school

Our school opened in 1870. We are very proud of our long heritage and our pioneer beginnings.

Our school currently has between 60 and 70 students enrolled in years prep to seven. Students are taught in multi-age or composite classes which allows for individuality and differentiation of learning programs.

Our school motto is "Strive to Excel", which clearly portrays our mission to continually improve every aspect of our school.

History of Murphy's Creek

The traditional aborigines of the area were the Kitabel people who spoke the Yuggera dialect. They called the area Tamamareen, meaning “where the fishing nets were burnt in a grass fire”.

The explorer Alan Cunningham was the first recorded pioneer, camping at Lockyer siding on the 25th June 1829. The locality became known by the early surveyors as Fingal. However in 1840 Patrick Leslie, along with his freed servant Peter Duffy Murphy, happened upon the area whilst looking for a crossing over the Range. They later pastured sheep and cattle in the area using the water from the creek, under the watch of a shepherd named Murphy. The area became known by the station managers as Murphys Creek, a name which has by popular use, supplanted the name of Fingal.

The community of Murphys Creek was largely established during the construction of the Toowoomba Range Railway Crossing in the 1860’s. At the time this crossing represented a great engineering challenge and its construction was a huge commitment for the fledgling state of Queensland. Rail workers were recruited from all over the world. An eyewitness in 1865 described Murphys Creek as being “a seething mass of tents, humpies, salons and sly grog-shops.”